Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An athletic contest consisting of three different events, typically swimming, cycling, and long-distance running.
- ‘The swimming portion of the triathlon will take place off Pattaya Beach in front of the Pattaya Park Hotel.’
- ‘It's not including her numerous medals and trophies for triathlons, pentathlons and track and field events.’
- ‘He said he might run marathons or compete in triathlons to feed the competitive part of his soul.’
- ‘The swimming portion of the triathlon took place off Pattaya Beach in front of the Pattaya Park Beach Resort.’
- ‘Participants will complete a normal triathlon but the swimming section will be swapped for rowing.’
- ‘I remember back in my early 20s, thinking it would be just so fantastic to go the Olympic Games, and back then I was just running, and I actually took up triathlons just to cross-train to help my running, to maybe take it to that next level.’
- ‘Chris Brogan was the only wheelchair athlete to complete the Olympic triathlon distance.’
- ‘The Australians seem to believe in it, and used such devices during the triathlon event at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.’
- ‘In 1998, she began to race in triathlons and just two years later she made a second Olympic appearance, this time as a triathlete.’
- ‘Literally every evening the flatmates and I would gather round the TV and watch hour after hour of gymnastics, triathlons, high jump, diving, even a spot of dressage - whatever was on, we were transfixed.’
- ‘‘They knew I was in shape, but they worried I was down to 210 pounds because of the triathlons,’ he said.’
- ‘Of course, many people who train successfully for marathons or long-distance triathlons never get sick.’
- ‘The Quays triathlon also incorporates the National Championships for the first time, ensuring a bumper entry.’
- ‘Eric Harr has completed more than 100 triathlons, winning 30 events in 23 countries.’
- ‘Those with questions over their performance are thought to include the triathlon, athletics, shooting and swimming.’
- ‘I watch with awe as they compete in a triathlon, pentathlon or even a decathlon’
- ‘Now my journey from sceptic to fanatic is complete, cycling being one of the three events in the triathlon for which I am training.’
- ‘Prior to that the former solicitor's clerk had dabbled in water polo and the triathlon.’
- ‘Salford hopes to become synonymous with the triathlon, and is bidding to host the 2010 World Championships.’
- ‘He channelled his rising anger into swimming and cycling, and soon began winning junior triathlons.’
1970s: from tri- three on the pattern of decathlon.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.