One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drug related to retinol (Vitamin A), used as a topical ointment in the treatment of acne and other disorders of the skin.
- ‘These data suggest that topical tretinoin is a useful agent in the treatment of steroid-induced acne.’
- ‘Topical retinoids such as tretinoin or adapalene are effective in many patients with comedonal acne.’
- ‘Like tretinoin, adapalene may cause skin irritation and initial exacerbation of acne lesions.’
- ‘Both retinol and tretinoin can cause redness and irritation, but retinol's side effects are usually milder.’
- ‘In patients with comedonal acne, it may be best to initiate treatment with tretinoin or adapalene.’
1970s: from t- of unknown origin + retinoic acid + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.