Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light simple mortar designed to propel a bomb into enemy trenches.
- ‘Common equipment, such as guns, machine guns, and rifles are supplemented by special weapons like a flamethrower, trench mortar, etc.’
- ‘The sounds of fighting never abated; even the infrequent spells of calm were interrupted by the occasional bored firing of a rifle or a trench mortar or an Army machine gun.’
- ‘Bombardment by heavy trench mortar had been added.’
- ‘Initially, the Japanese troops lived in tents, but to defend against trench mortars, two containers were stacked.’
- ‘For example, his five divisions had only 118 guns each - a third of the standard number; there was an almost total lack of howitzers, trench mortars, grenades and high explosive ammunition.’
- ‘In 1674 he gave his name to a trench mortar, to be used at closer range than previous models.’
- ‘The closest Wood got to combat was the inspection tour, during which a trench mortar exploded at the breach, slightly wounding him and killing several officers who stood nearby.’
- ‘With such trenches stretching from the North Sea to Switzerland, a stalemate existed and to break it various new weapons were introduced, including hand-grenades, poison gas, trench mortars, and artillery barrages.’
- ‘North Korea recently accused South Korea of bringing trench mortars into the Demilitarized Zone in violation of the armistice agreement, which ended the 1950-1953 Korean War.’
- ‘He followed Sasha through the wire diving for cover in a shell hole, just as a round from a trench mortar obliterated the three men who cleared the wire seconds before them.’
- ‘We captured a trench mortar, a machine gun and some material.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.