Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A loose, belted, double-breasted raincoat in a military style.
- ‘He was surprised, however, when he stepped right into the path of a smaller man in a trench coat and fedora.’
- ‘On the crumple sheeted bed is a dirty trench coat and on the trench coat is a carefully placed bible.’
- ‘The boy on the other hand wore an ankle length black trench coat, with a green ponytail flipped over the coat.’
- ‘She reached inside and pulled out a black trench coat lined with faux fur at the neck, the sleeves, and the hem.’
- ‘I wrestled off my trench coat and hat, throwing them on to the coat hanger.’
- ‘There are also sweater coats, coatdresses, trench coats, balmacaans, reefers, princess cuts, and oodles of other descriptive style terms to spin you into a fashionable furious straight jacket, if you should so desire.’
- ‘For the evening, Bailey offers these shiny variations of the trench coat.’
- ‘Standing on the balcony edge, he was dressed in his trench coat, lined with moonlight around the edges.’
- ‘He stood in front of her in a black trench coat and a matching turtleneck.’
- ‘Standing, the man in the black trench coat adjusted the sunglasses that obscured his eyes.’
- ‘I placed my bowler hat on my coat rack, and my black trench coat on the hook.’
- ‘Love all the trench coats, especially the white trench coat with the subtle Burberry print on it.’
- ‘He rushed toward the coat rack, grabbing his trench coat and slipping it on.’
- ‘She dresses smart-black pin-stripe trousers, black polo neck with a trench coat.’
- ‘Wear it with a trendy leather jacket and jeans for everyday occasions, or with a dressier trench coat for work.’
- ‘We entered as another servant took my soft tan fur coat; Jarred handed them his black trench coat.’
- ‘There was a man in a trench coat, pants, shirt, shoes and sunglasses, all black.’
- ‘He was wearing a long trench coat and an old style hat that had stopped Scott from identifying him.’
- ‘Thus the campy prose style and the author photo in trench coat and fedora.’
- ‘They have a patent leather version of a fifties style trench coat and their own interpretation of the current high school craze.’
- 1.1 A lined or padded waterproof coat worn by soldiers.
World War I: originally referring to the type of coat worn by soldiers in the trenches.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.