One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wave vibrating at right angles to the direction of its propagation.
- ‘Then the researchers sent a quick, transverse wave pulse across the fluid.’
- ‘Most aquatic animals use the jet-stream propulsion in a form of propagating a transverse wave along the body from head to tail.’
- ‘In fact Fresnel had already published his theory that light was a transverse wave but, although Doppler had read Fresnel's work, he did not accept it.’
- ‘The water wave, like the violin string, is an example of a transverse wave.’
- ‘Specifically, light travels in transverse waves - that is, while traveling along a generally straight path, light waves will vibrate in many directions perpendicular to that path.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.