Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who emotionally and psychologically feels that they belong to the opposite sex.
- ‘Today, of course, transsexuals and other transgendered people have a significant voice in the literature of gender variance.’
- ‘It reaffirms my belief that the gay mainstream has no interest in the reality of the transsexual experience, despite the fact that many transsexuals have come from your ranks.’
- ‘First is the irony of a politically correct organization that ‘advocates for the rights of transsexuals’ but flatly refuses membership to transsexuals.’
- ‘So transsexuals, although born into one gender, will identify emotionally and psychologically with the other.’
- ‘She asserts that transgender nondiscrimination laws being passed throughout the country cover only transsexuals and not other transgender or gender-nonconforming people.’
- ‘His emphasis was on sexual minorities - homosexuals, bisexuals, lesbians, gays, transsexuals, transvestites and other transgender people.’
- ‘A data-bending psychologist confirms what he already knew about gays and transsexuals.’
- ‘The 17 person committee that writes the standards includes at least four transsexuals, including physicians.’
- ‘How did people react to a major Hollywood release with a transsexual as the lead character?’
- ‘According to the authors, these professionals are ignorant of the homosexual versus autogynephilic typology of transsexuals.’
- ‘She manages to capture some of their innermost feelings, and shows that transsexuals have the same range of emotions and personalities as normal people.’
- ‘At the same time, the experiences of transgenders and transsexuals can offer much to the debates over utilizing, reforming, or doing away with sexual orientation categories.’
- 1.1 A person who has undergone treatment in order to acquire the physical characteristics of the opposite sex.
Relating to transsexuals.
- ‘Unmarried parents, cohabiting couples with children, and transsexual couples with children have all been acknowledged as having a right to respect for their family life under this Article.’
- ‘I knew I couldn't possibly do justice to the subject from a transgendered or transsexual perspective.’
- ‘This analysis can be strengthened with gender identity discussions that relate bisexuality to the experiences of transgender and transsexual individuals.’
- ‘If you are a lesbian, bisexual woman, or transgendered / transsexual woman (living full-time), you are invited to participate in this study.’
- ‘The relationship between mental health professionals and their transgender / transsexual clients has a long and complicated history - one that has been often characterized in negative terms.’
- ‘The language of the transgender / transsexual community is ever-evolving.’
- ‘To return now to the example of my transsexual patient: initially, I really could not see what solution this patient would be able to find at the end of her analysis.’
- ‘The study found that the biological structure in the brains of male to female transsexual people had a totally female pattern that was not attributable to sex hormone therapy.’
- ‘Despite a fairly balanced presentation of the issues, there are some subtle aspects of this video that transgender and transsexual advocates would find problematic.’
- ‘Yet these heroic changes, which have largely been driven by transsexual activists, focus solely on transsexuality and gender identity.’
- ‘This bill is obviously a clear example of an expression of malice and prejudice against gay, lesbian, transgender, and transsexual people.’
- ‘The bill also would extend nondiscrimination laws to gays, lesbians and transgendered and transexual people.’
- ‘An analysis was done of 2,000 transsexual patients in 13 countries over 30 years.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.