Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The flow of water through a plant, from the roots to the leaves, via the xylem vessels.
- ‘Mass flow of solution towards the root in the transpiration stream tends to compress the zones of oxygenation and nitrification and extend the zone of depletion.’
- ‘Na+ is transported to shoots in the rapidly moving transpiration stream in the xylem, but can only be returned to roots via the phloem.’
- ‘This scenario implies that water will be taken up by the xylem parenchyma whenever the water potential in the transpiration stream is high.’
- ‘Xylem flow carries the transpiration stream and is normally entirely acropetal.’
- ‘The transpiration stream through the xylem transports cytokinins, as well as ABA, from the root to the shoot.’
transpiration stream/ˌtran(t)spəˈrāSHən ˌstrēm/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.