One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Move from one place to another.‘translocating rhinos to other reserves’no object ‘the cell bodies translocate into the other side of the brain’
migrant, migrating, translocating, relocating, moving, travellingView synonyms
- ‘But studies carried out in recent years have highlighted a range of problems faced by translocated monkeys.’
- ‘Whenever the Department of Conservation translocates birds and other species, whenever it opens a new facility, there are karakia from tohunga and ministers.’
- ‘The up to 50 birds to be translocated will be sourced from Codfish Island and a number of captive holding sites, and will be fully health screened prior to departure.’
- ‘Breeding of the deer is so successful that every fortnight at least 15 to 20 of them are translocated to the Srisailam and other forests.’
- ‘There have been cases of young translocated elephants goring rhino and attacking cars.’
- 1.1Biochemistry Physiology Transport (a dissolved substance) within an organism, especially in the phloem of a plant, or actively across a cell membrane.
- ‘During the first phase, the proteins are translocated within the first 10 minutes of stress which is accompanied by cortical reinforcement.’
- ‘The composition of this membrane is not known and nor is there any information about the mechanism by which proteins are translocated across this additional membrane.’
- ‘The peptide penetratin has recently been shown to translocate across neural cell membranes without damaging them, even when coupled to drugs.’
- ‘Membrane proteins are translocated by an SRP-dependent or spontaneous pathway.’
- ‘Of special interest are those ions that serve as catalytic substrates of membrane enzymes but are not translocated through the membrane.’
- 1.2Genetics Move (a portion of a chromosome) to a new position on the same or another chromosome.
- ‘Genes that may have translocated as a block are marked with a thick horizontal line’
- ‘Studies of genes translocated to heterochromatin have provided insight into the factors that control chromatin states.’
- ‘Moreover, the susceptibility to high recombination is preserved even if the specific region is translocated to a new chromosomal position.’
- ‘These chromosome pieces contain the same genes involved in the original translocation and they can translocate to the other chromosome producing the same fusion gene.’
- ‘To allow for the next round of transcription initiation RNA polymerase has to translocate about 60 base pairs.’
- ‘Their ancestral array could have existed on the autosomes of the progenitor of the A. gambiae complex, from which some repeats were translocated onto the Y chromosome.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.