Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the set of metallic elements occupying a central block (Groups IVB–VIII, IB, and IIB, or 4–12) in the periodic table, e.g., iron, manganese, chromium, and copper. Chemically they show variable valence and a strong tendency to form coordination compounds, and many of their compounds are colored.
- ‘Tungsten is a transition metal, one of the elements that occupy the middle of the periodic table.’
- ‘Iron and copper are the transition metal ions that are involved in the catalytic process of ROS generation.’
- ‘Rhodium can be classified as a transition metal, a member of the platinum group of metals, and as a precious metal.’
- ‘Manganese as a transition metal, one of the elements that occur in the middle of the periodic table in Rows 4, 5, and 6 between Groups 2 and 13.’
- ‘We also observed qualitatively distinct behavior between the alkali-earth metal ions and the divalent transition metal ions in their action on the charged viruses.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.