One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the set of metallic elements occupying a central block (Groups IVB–VIII, IB, and IIB, or 4–12) in the periodic table, e.g., iron, manganese, chromium, and copper. Chemically they show variable valence and a strong tendency to form coordination compounds, and many of their compounds are colored.
- ‘Tungsten is a transition metal, one of the elements that occupy the middle of the periodic table.’
- ‘Iron and copper are the transition metal ions that are involved in the catalytic process of ROS generation.’
- ‘Rhodium can be classified as a transition metal, a member of the platinum group of metals, and as a precious metal.’
- ‘We also observed qualitatively distinct behavior between the alkali-earth metal ions and the divalent transition metal ions in their action on the charged viruses.’
- ‘Manganese as a transition metal, one of the elements that occur in the middle of the periodic table in Rows 4, 5, and 6 between Groups 2 and 13.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.