One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The belief or theory that the human race can evolve beyond its current physical and mental limitations, especially by means of science and technology.
- ‘Despite these differences, I still see a lot of good in transhumanism, and I feel no shame in considering myself to be one.’
- ‘Most of them live in California, their passions are life extension, body sculpting, cryonics, smart drinks, funny handshakes, and a new philosophy they call ' transhumanism '.’
- ‘As for objections to transhumanism, I don't really have any on a personal level.’
- ‘The goal of transhumanism is to surpass our current biological limitations, whether they be life span, physical beauty, or the capabilities of our brain. "’
- ‘Others contend that transhumanism threatens humanity's very nature.’
- ‘It's quite disillusioning to see that an alleged expert in transhumanism like Kurzweil has such a fragile grasp on the actual science required for those processes.’
- ‘A lot of it is based on my own worldview, but the bulk of it is centered on singularitarian philosophy, which is basically an offshoot of transhumanism & posthumanism.’
- ‘One obstacle to discussion is that transhumanism is not just a philosophy; it is also a grassroots movement.’
- ‘So easy to launch ourselves into a disembodied transhumanism and to completely disrespect our bodies.’
- ‘They cannot cope with the rise of religious fundamentalism, nor with the victory of global capitalism, its technologies and its ideological avant-garde: transhumanism.’
- ‘Right now, the only people thinking about transhumanism are futurists, ethicists (such as Fukuyama) and researchers.’
- ‘" The ethical implications of nanotechnology are great, but even more troubling is the philosophy of some of its proponents, who subscribe to transhumanism.’
- ‘And far be it from me to say I know better than an Oxford philosopher, but transhumanism really weirds me out.’
- ‘What makes transhumanism so strong is its embedding, its deep penetration, in the infrastructure and software.’
- ‘From a purely capitalist point of view, one virtue of transhumanism is that it incorporates both body and mind into the continuous upgrade cycle that characterizes contemporary consumption patterns.’
- ‘He is the author of several books on health, artificial intelligence, transhumanism, and technological singularity.’
- ‘Project Natal will, quite possibly, be the next step on the road to transhumanism and further demonstrate our decadent desire to get away from the real world.’
- ‘So transhumanism does not even have to present itself as an ideology — it can immediately enter the room of the ruler.’
- ‘These topics were the subject of a conference at Yale on transhumanism and ethics.’
- ‘Like other iconoclastic movements, organized transhumanism attracts its share of sheer goofiness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.