Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Transcending historical boundaries; eternal.‘femininity may not be a transhistorical absolute’
- ‘She takes issue with those who, like Freud or Foucault, essentialize the human body and its desires as some sort of transhistorical entity, yet use the male body as the standard.’
- ‘Once more historical distance is sacrificed in the interest of a transhistorical principle.’
- ‘Several essays emphasize the formal elements involved in reproducing both American myths through the effective employment of transhistorical archetypes.’
- ‘But gender relations cannot be universalized, and race relations also lack transhistorical necessity, so neither the standpoint of women nor of black women can claim epistemic privilege.’
- ‘His clear preference for thematic parallels and transhistorical modeling returns an attenuated history, largely organized without causes and contexts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.