Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.‘a transgender activist and author’Compare with cisgender‘the series will chronicle a group of Chicago women united by the shared experience of being transgender’
- ‘Most of my fellow co-workers and volunteers were gay, lesbian and transgender people whose lives and relationships had been totally decimated by the disease.’
- ‘Any unease expressed by the parents or the other students is clearly secondary next to the transgendered student's basic human rights and liberties.’
- ‘One can ask several questions about transgender sexuality and gender identity.’
- ‘And while she has been active in transgender activists' protests following her daughter's death, she is struggling to put her life back together.’
- ‘First, in the view of transgender advocates gender is simply a matter of individual identity.’
- ‘‘Writing the play, it began to dawn on me that she was a transgendered person,’ she says.’
- ‘Youth are coming out as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered at increasingly younger ages.’
- ‘She was, as a woman, presumptively a target of gender violence, with or without any transgender identity she may have had.’
- ‘I started to identify as transgender about 3 months before entering college.’
- ‘Issues of gender and transgender, butch and femme, masculine and feminine are on my mind lately.’
- ‘That debate itself has become a primary source of suffering for millions of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people.’
- ‘Members get access to a variety of message boards and one of the largest databases of gay, lesbian, and transgendered singles on the Net.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.