Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme that catalyzes the transfer of a particular group from one molecule to another.
- ‘Enzyme activity was determined by the transferase assay in crude leaf extracts.’
- ‘Late-expressed genes are, as expected, of more diverse functions and include various metabolic and structural genes, including synthases, transferases, collagen, and proteases.’
- ‘Whey contains many types of enzymes, including hydrolases, transferases, lyases, proteases, and lipases.’
- ‘The other affects multiple tissues and manifests symptoms similar to the transferase deficiency.’
- ‘Both biosynthetic and transferase enzyme activities of GS are affected in the mutants.’
- ‘Kinases are specialized transferases that regulate metabolism by transferring phosphate from ATP to other molecules.’
- ‘With the unravelling of the human genome, researchers are already learning more about the structures of the key transferase enzymes involved in glycoprotein synthesis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.