Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme that catalyzes the transfer of a particular group from one molecule to another.
- ‘Whey contains many types of enzymes, including hydrolases, transferases, lyases, proteases, and lipases.’
- ‘With the unravelling of the human genome, researchers are already learning more about the structures of the key transferase enzymes involved in glycoprotein synthesis.’
- ‘Kinases are specialized transferases that regulate metabolism by transferring phosphate from ATP to other molecules.’
- ‘Late-expressed genes are, as expected, of more diverse functions and include various metabolic and structural genes, including synthases, transferases, collagen, and proteases.’
- ‘Enzyme activity was determined by the transferase assay in crude leaf extracts.’
- ‘The other affects multiple tissues and manifests symptoms similar to the transferase deficiency.’
- ‘Both biosynthetic and transferase enzyme activities of GS are affected in the mutants.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.