Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sum total of all the messenger RNA molecules expressed from the genes of an organism.
- ‘However, only a few works have addressed the response of the transcriptome to whole genome duplication.’
- ‘The application of genome, transcriptome, and proteome screening to cybrid clones of the two different types could therefore help to identify the relevant pathways and genes.’
- ‘With respect to gene expression, transcriptomes from different plants or organs at different physiological states can now be monitored and compared.’
- ‘In spite of the limitations, the present data support the idea that the overall gene composition of the wheat transcriptome follows the general trend observed in other species.’
- ‘This may require assaying a range of enzymes, and will increasingly involve transcriptome analysis on DNA microarrays, or proteome analysis.’
- ‘During the past decade research in the field of molecular biology has gradually shifted from the analysis of single genes to the analysis of whole genomes, transcriptomes, and proteomes.’
1990s: blend of transcript and genome.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.