The sum total of all the messenger RNA molecules expressed from the genes of an organism.
- ‘With respect to gene expression, transcriptomes from different plants or organs at different physiological states can now be monitored and compared.’
- ‘In spite of the limitations, the present data support the idea that the overall gene composition of the wheat transcriptome follows the general trend observed in other species.’
- ‘This may require assaying a range of enzymes, and will increasingly involve transcriptome analysis on DNA microarrays, or proteome analysis.’
- ‘The application of genome, transcriptome, and proteome screening to cybrid clones of the two different types could therefore help to identify the relevant pathways and genes.’
- ‘During the past decade research in the field of molecular biology has gradually shifted from the analysis of single genes to the analysis of whole genomes, transcriptomes, and proteomes.’
- ‘However, only a few works have addressed the response of the transcriptome to whole genome duplication.’
1990s: blend of transcript and genome.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.