One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
noun & adjective
- ‘Mayo was inspired by Emerson's writings, but distinguished his beliefs from those aspects of transcendentalist philosophy which his audience found offensive.’
- ‘He subsequently led a simple life as one of the New England transcendentalists, writing poems, essays, and two books while trying to earn a living.’
- ‘He became a follower and friend of Emerson, and was, in his own words, ‘a mystic, a transcendentalist, and a natural philosopher to boot’.’
- ‘His first move after college was to the Brook Farm in West Roxbury, Mass., a gathering place for many of the leading transcendentalists of the era.’
- ‘He was a transcendentalist philosopher, an educator and an abolitionist, and - like March - a vegetarian.’
- ‘In the 19th century, the transcendentalists, inspired by India, gave a characteristic orientation to America's self-definition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.