Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nountrademark in US
A technique for detaching oneself from anxiety and promoting harmony and self-realization by meditation, repetition of a mantra, and other yogic practices, promulgated by an international organization founded by the Indian guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (c.1911–2008)
- ‘The Transcendental Meditation program is a standardized behavioral intervention with holistic effects.’
- ‘If you have a religion, Transcendental Meditation will help you to appreciate it more.’
- ‘The Transcendental Meditation technique, or other relaxation techniques are also useful in managing stress.’
- ‘The best-known form of meditation is Transcendental Meditation, which more than 1 million Americans practice regularly.’
- ‘Even the claims made for the significant health benefits of Transcendental Meditation have been greatly exaggerated and distorted.’
- ‘Can Transcendental Meditation cut epidemic levels of stress for students?’
- ‘And nothing exemplifies this better than the fact that the one thing Kaufman apparently believed in was Transcendental Meditation.’
- ‘I recall that perhaps you went through Transcendental Meditation training back around 1970.’
- ‘One of the main reasons I reject religion, especially submissive Eastern cults like Transcendental Meditation, is that the mind is not supposed to be peaceful!’
- ‘A few scientists had taken Transcendental Meditation as the uniform technique, and had based their observations on the study of the subjects engaged in this form of meditation.’
- ‘Well the Transcendental Meditation people have been saying this for years.’
- ‘A high-school counselor thought Transcendental Meditation would be good for a high-strung kid like me.’
- ‘Stress reduction programs that use the Transcendental Meditation technique have been reported as significantly lowering total cholesterol, lipid peroxide levels, and carotid artery IM thickness.’
- ‘It was then that the Beatles discovered Mahesh Yogi and Transcendental Meditation.’
- ‘I was also much influenced by Indian meditation practices, starting with Transcendental Meditation around 1970, and various other forms of meditation and yoga over the years.’
- ‘It is reminiscent of the claim of Transcendental Meditation that group meditation could reduce local crime rates.’
- ‘The man holding these innovative brand of press meets is none other than the founder of Transcendental Meditation, Maharshi Mahesh Yogi.’
- ‘The Transcendental Meditation technique, practiced for 20 minutes twice daily, has been proven to significantly reduce the effects of stress.’
- ‘But it would be a great background sound for Transcendental Meditation.’
Transcendental Meditation/ˈˌtranˌ(t)senden(t)l medəˈtāSHən/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.