One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or relating to a molecular structure in which two particular atoms or groups lie on opposite sides of a given plane in the molecule, in particular denoting an isomer in which substituents at opposite ends of a carbon–carbon double bond are also on opposite sides of the bond.‘the trans isomer of stilbene’Compare with cis
- ‘Photoisomerization studies were carried out using trans isomers as starting materials.’
- ‘Initially the propellers sit on opposite sides of the molecule: the so-called trans isomer.’
- ‘One example of the application of this technique is in the distinction of trans and gauche rotational isomers.’
- ‘Where they are on opposite sides of the double bond, the arrangement is the trans arrangement.’
- ‘However, the extent of trans isomer was greater in the extracted samples.’
Independent usage of trans-.
- ‘"Violence against trans women is an issue I talk a lot about," she said.’
- ‘I've added a gender studies area and am building up the stock of books for trans and bi people.’
- ‘These concerns were put to the Facebook group by a number of trans activists.’
- ‘I have known several trans men and some women.’
- ‘I'm a non-binary trans guy - assigned female at birth, coming out as trans recently.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.