Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Crossing the Pacific.‘new trans-Pacific routes to India, Korea, and Japan’
- ‘Interested in photography, he worked for Pan American Airways in the mid-1930s, taking pictures of the development of the trans-Pacific air route.’
- ‘Since most of the hotels I was booked in had high-speed Net connections and we had broadband and a Webcam at home, I figured it would be a breeze to set up a trans-Pacific video link.’
- ‘The flight took 23 hours, and the 7,500-mile mission was the first trans-Pacific flight by an unmanned aircraft.’
- ‘A peaceful trans-Pacific flight instantly changes into chaotic disaster when a fire in the cargo hold precipitates a headlong crash into the inky darkness of storm-tossed seas.’
- ‘Among them, according to the state department, was an attempt in 1995 to bomb a dozen US trans-Pacific flights in midair.’
- ‘And with cheap international phone cards, it is possible for almost anyone to make a long trans-Pacific telephone call a few times a week.’
- ‘But the city had key advantages, including that it was closer to North America on trans-Pacific routes than competitors such as Hong Kong or Taipei.’
- ‘Moves by exporters and shipping lines to settle the thorny problem of terminal handling charges on key trans-Pacific and intra-Asia routes collapsed before they really started earlier this week.’
- ‘This brings up an interesting question: Is the risk of dying in a trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific crossing greater on a cruise liner or in a jumbo jet?’
- ‘Within Asia itself, China and the China - Burma - India theatre came to take second place to the trans-Pacific, island-hopping strategy that had proved successful by late 1943.’
- ‘The 747-400s will be used to operate trans-Pacific cargo routes from Hong Kong to the United States.’
- ‘That's the world's second-busiest waterway and a vital trans-Pacific route for supertankers.’
- ‘In the autumn of 1934, Amelia decided that her next flight would be a trans-Pacific flight from Hawaii to California… and then on to Washington D.C.’
- ‘It's nothing to the extent that others coming through the other trans-Pacific ports are experiencing.’
- ‘The more direct routing may save 30-45 minutes of flight time on some Eastbound trans-Pacific flights in particular.’
- ‘But it is obviously disappointing to hear that trans-Pacific flights have stalled once again.’
- ‘The attendants are demanding a 24-hour midnight-to-midnight break for working 13-hour trans-Pacific flights from New Zealand to Los Angeles.’
- ‘But I suspect that this rare instance of tranquility is simply a brief respite, a necessary calm before boarding a trans-Pacific flight.’
- ‘During the 1870s much of East Asia, including Australia, was linked by telegraph, though the trans-Pacific cable was not complete until 1902.’
- ‘Revenue growth at trans-Pacific routes and trans-Atlantic routes was 21.4 per cent and 14 per cent, respectively.’
- 1.1Relating to an area beyond the Pacific.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.