Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting or relating to a molecular structure in which two particular atoms or groups lie on opposite sides of a given plane in the molecule, in particular denoting an isomer in which substituents at opposite ends of a carbon–carbon double bond are also on opposite sides of the bond.‘the trans isomer of stilbene’Compare with cis
- ‘Photoisomerization studies were carried out using trans isomers as starting materials.’
- ‘Initially the propellers sit on opposite sides of the molecule: the so-called trans isomer.’
- ‘However, the extent of trans isomer was greater in the extracted samples.’
- ‘One example of the application of this technique is in the distinction of trans and gauche rotational isomers.’
- ‘Where they are on opposite sides of the double bond, the arrangement is the trans arrangement.’
Independent usage of trans-.
- ‘I'm a non-binary trans guy - assigned female at birth, coming out as trans recently.’
- ‘I have known several trans men and some women.’
- ‘These concerns were put to the Facebook group by a number of trans activists.’
- ‘I've added a gender studies area and am building up the stock of books for trans and bi people.’
- ‘"Violence against trans women is an issue I talk a lot about," she said.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.