One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A set of trains, tracks, and other things making up a child's model railroad.
- ‘She smiled when mothers walked out with their children hand in hand and watched some that had their children who excitedly turned to a window display of toys, clothes or train sets.’
- ‘It was Orson Welles who once claimed being a film director was like being given ownership of the biggest toy train set a boy could ever want.’
- ‘Forget the traditional doll's house and train set - all youngsters want for Christmas this year is an MP3 player or haute couture.’
- ‘I asked for a bike, an electric train set, some roller skates and some footy gear.’
- ‘Everyone is listening to Hope's dad talk about the train set he's building in the family room.’
- ‘A model train set with 50 pieces of track used to deliver bonus cheques to executives around the building.’
- ‘Small STOP and GO signs can be placed in the sandpit and added to train sets and toy car collections.’
- ‘Another series was taken via a camera attached to a kite; the resulting pictures make the landscape look like model train sets.’
- ‘But this was no display of jewels - although the owners taking part in one of the region's biggest model railway exhibitions at the weekend swore their train sets were worth their weight in gold.’
- ‘Somebody once said to me that I didn't need a model train set because I came into work every day and had a real one.’
- ‘I was very keen on trains and I took the engine of my train set to school and gave a morning talk about it.’
- ‘A quiet, introverted child, he loved playing with a toy train set, but much preferred spending hours watching the real things at 179th Street.’
- ‘They are like pieces in a model train set, the only variable being my timekeeping.’
- ‘Houses and mosques lie deep down below, and from the crater's edge they look like tiny toys or models on a child's train set.’
- ‘An exciting hour of trucks, stuffed toys, train sets, and crayons.’
- ‘I never had an electric train set when I was a child and only went trainspotting once.’
- ‘Age-appropriate present options include soft teddy bears, bricks and blocks and first train sets.’
- ‘A miniature garden, like a snow globe, model train set, or fish tank, is complete; nothing is missing, and nothing can be taken away.’
- ‘My position on Christmas could not have been clearer: I wanted a blue model train set with the red trolley attachment.’
2A set of railroad cars, often with a locomotive, coupled together for a particular service.
- ‘Miniature coal-fired power stations, a car that runs on electricity, a lawnmower, mini hot-air balloons and homemade train sets were all entered into the competition.’
- ‘In fifty years time there are likely to be even fewer Aucklanders than there are today - especially if we waste two billion dollars building train sets, instead of finishing the road network.’
- ‘The train set, like all TGV and other high speed trains, was articulated with all electric power cars at each end.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.