One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in Venice) a landing place or jetty for gondolas.
- ‘Look for traghetto signs and hand your fare to the gondolier when you board.’
- ‘Near to this there is the traghetto stop of San Sofia which is bang opposite the Peshcheria or Fish Market.’
- ‘Do get as detailed a map of the city as you can, and make sure it shows all the vaporetto and traghetto stops.’
- 1.1 A gondola ferry.
passenger boat, passenger ship, ferry boat, packet boat, packet, shuttleView synonyms
- ‘The different types of water transportation means in Venice include waterbuses, water taxi, gondola and traghetto.’
- ‘As our river bus weaves in and out among the swarm of vaporetti, traghetti, gondolas and private craft, Venice begins to reveal itself.’
- ‘Otherwise you can choose between the other modes of transport: vaporetto, traghetto, gondola and water taxi.’
- ‘The site also discusses the traghetti or gondola ferries across the Grand Canal.’
- ‘The traghetto are larger gondola-style boats, with two oarsmen.’
- ‘We also sampled a ride in a traghetto, which is simply a gondola ride from one side of the canal to the other.’
- ‘He takes off his head gear and the flippers and then takes the traghetto across to our side.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.