One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The deliberate slowing of traffic in residential areas by building speed bumps or other obstructions.
- ‘Illuminated signs and traffic calming measures have been used effectively in other areas of the country for many years.’
- ‘Views on traffic calming measures for a busy area in Swindon are being sought.’
- ‘I am writing to you about the draconian road traffic calming measures currently being installed in Woodmansterne Road.’
- ‘We were appalled to read in your newspaper that there is a scheme afoot to install so-called traffic calming measures in this road.’
- ‘He called for the dangerous stretch of road to become a slow speed zone or for traffic calming measures to be introduced there.’
- ‘There will also be an update from highways on proposed traffic calming measures and highways improvements in the area.’
- ‘The chairperson also told the meeting that traffic calming measures were to be introduced in College Park.’
- ‘It calls for traffic calming measures to be introduced to slow down speeding drivers on the Skipton estate.’
- ‘In the meantime, he is confident, temporary traffic calming measures will be in place within the next few weeks.’
- ‘There are very busy roads through these towns and it is essential that there be proper traffic calming measures put in place.’
- ‘Objectors to traffic calming measures at Burley Woodhead have been slammed by councillors who say the scheme is a vital for safety.’
- ‘Hull Road desperately needs speed cameras or some other traffic calming measure and has done for some time.’
- ‘She said they were now looking at possibly installing CCTV, improved lighting and traffic calming measures.’
- ‘Members heard there was not enough money in the budget to provide a zebra crossing, traffic calming and speed limits.’
- ‘One or two things could be better but, on the whole, I'm happy to accept the tedium which traffic calming measures bring.’
- ‘Residents are protesting against council plans to install traffic calming measures on their doorsteps.’
- ‘To give a second example, it could stop the spread of road humps and other so-called traffic calming measures.’
- ‘A stark choice remained - no speed limit or traffic calming to reduce the speeds.’
- ‘He promises traffic calming to make the area more welcoming for families.’
- ‘Residents are campaigning for traffic calming measures on a road where a four-year-old boy was killed.’
1980s: translation of German Verkehrsberuhigung.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.