One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who buys and sells goods, currency, or stocks.
dealer, merchant, buyer, seller, salesman, saleswoman, buyer and seller, marketeer, merchandiser, broker, agentView synonyms
- ‘However, some traders fear that the initiative will have little real effect.’
- ‘Currency traders said some of the details of the report were not as bad as feared.’
- ‘Stock market traders fear that the violence may reach a level where it will disrupt world oil supplies.’
- ‘He was convinced that the foreign opium traders had no countenance from their governments at home.’
- ‘But, on Wednesday, the town's traders decided they would do it no more.’
- ‘Many local leaders, however, continued to sell captives to illegal slave traders.’
- ‘The story goes that Portuguese slave traders, watching Africans digging up some roots, asked what they were called.’
- ‘Trading was conducted by traders on the floor of the pit calling out and signalling to each other.’
- ‘Fluctuations in the dollar brought out the foreign currency traders.’
- ‘So support your local market traders and enjoy fine food.’
- ‘The first French settlement was begun by fur traders in Acadia in 1604.’
- ‘After all, there is no shortage of traders willing to deal in Third World debt.’
- ‘Rogue traders who are selling fireworks to kids are likely to find themselves in hot water.’
- ‘Do stock market traders understand how politics affect the markets?’
- ‘Feeling a career in the academy would be too risky, he became a commodities trader and trading systems designer.’
- ‘Bringing more people into the town could also be a welcome boost for the town's traders.’
- ‘For the traders on the floor, they all said it was a quiet day, it was a blip.’
- ‘And traders complained that too many customers were getting booked while they were trying to pick up goods.’
- ‘French fur traders and explorers first visited the Rainy Lake area in the late 17th century.’
- ‘Law-abiding traders complained after noticing a huge number of fakes on the market.’
- ‘The redevelopment will be welcomed by traders in the area whose businesses have suffered.’
- 1.1 A merchant ship.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.