One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The amount by which the value of a country's exports exceeds the cost of its imports.
- ‘Now Russia has a trade surplus of $60 billion a year and annual economic growth of 7%.’
- ‘The same goes for the labor supply and the trade deficit, that has changed from a trade surplus into a deficit, but is also not of a dangerous level.’
- ‘He said it would also eventually help contain the huge trade surplus as foreign producers export less to the United States.’
- ‘During this period of economic recovery, the Euroland trade surplus with the United States has risen, not fallen.’
- ‘Despite imports contracting more than exports, the island still posted a trade surplus of $360 million.’
- ‘Tensions have been increasing between a number of countries and China recently over its trade surplus, surging textile imports and problems with product piracy.’
- ‘And the trade surplus narrowed because of a drop in May exports.’
- ‘We had a trade surplus in the great Depression for all the good that did us.’
- ‘The French state would always run a trade surplus.’
- ‘The news came as Japan reported a 40% rise in its trade surplus, despite pressure from the strengthening yen.’
- ‘When a country has a large trade surplus, this generates an expansion in its monetary base.’
- ‘Record world oil prices are bringing strong growth, a healthy trade surplus, higher wages, and even bigger pensions from fattened state coffers for some of the poorest Russians.’
- ‘When foreign countries had a trade surplus, they theoretically could have used the excess dollars and asked the U.S. to exchange them for gold.’
- ‘We have a trade surplus in services, we are a net exporter of services.’
- ‘The second choice is that the Federal Reserve creates a recession large enough to turn the trade deficit into a trade surplus.’
- ‘The United States will then be forced into a trade surplus as incomes fall far enough to reduce imports and wages fall far enough to make U.S. goods competitive.’
- ‘The problem is that although oil exports produce a spectacular trade surplus, the exchange rate soars.’
- ‘At EU level, exports to the CEE countries countries are higher than imports, which is an indication of the trade surplus that the EU has with the region.’
- ‘The euro countries are running a significant trade surplus with the US.’
- ‘The accumulated trade surplus stood at $4.89 billion, a 1.7-fold increase over the same period last year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.