Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A book published by a commercial publisher and intended for general readership.
- ‘In less than a decade, however, the independent bookstore's position as the outlet for the great majority of the trade books sold in the U.S. has been reversed.’
- ‘This study describes how two second grade teachers along with a school counselor used bibliotherapy trade books with students within Literature Circles to build self-esteem in reading.’
- ‘This essay highlights the ways in which children's literature, that is, trade books (not textbooks) for children, became important vehicles for civil rights activism.’
- ‘Narrative texts, including trade books and stories found in basals, are commonly used in primary classrooms for children's reading instruction.’
- ‘Most trade books are sold through retail outlets (bookstores, discount clubs, and online), but a book placed in a library's collection has the potential to cannibalize retail sales.’
- ‘It might not matter in a general trade book, but the author does not seem to be addressing himself principally to a popular lay audience.’
- ‘A manuscript for a trade book goes through several stages of editing before it goes to press.’
- ‘And her book, a confessional Christian memoir, will expose her as a devout and orthodox Christian and as a writer of a trade book.’
- ‘These include primary and secondary sources in the form of trade books, magazines, newspapers, pictures, videos, charts, Internet sources, and other media and art forms.’
- ‘How did it ever get published by one of the flagship publishers of academic and serious trade books?’
- ‘Phase two is to open up the lines of communication between editors and readers like the trade book business has never seen before.’
- ‘There are seventy thousand new trade book titles each year in the U.S. alone.’
- ‘During the first step, we hoped to engage the interest of the learner through either storyteller presentations or through the use of trade books related to the lesson's topic.’
- ‘Then, and only then, do texts matter, and real trade books are often a better vehicle than books written for captive student audiences.’
- ‘As part of this change I would drop textbooks in favor of trade books, a syllabus in favor of a classroom library, and go strongly for individual and small-group reading.’
- ‘Most impressively, the report is illustrated with nine photographs bearing marks of a finer finish than the average trade book of the time could boast.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.