One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steam or diesel-powered road vehicle used (especially formerly) for pulling very heavy loads.
- ‘The current UK exams, for instance, include a so-called ‘simple mechanical’ invention, which can be anything from a potato peeler to a traction engine.’
- ‘Afterwards, though, what we needed was a traction engine to shunt us all out the door and take us home.’
- ‘The church was carried from Essex to Yorkshire on a traction engine in 1905.’
- ‘It was a good day out with a variety of attractions (e.g. flower tent, steam traction engines, livestock) and displays (showjumping, motorcycle stunt display).’
- ‘Interesting brasses from traction engine rallies adorn one wall.’
- ‘Everything from show engines to traction engines, steamrollers and steam tractors kept spectators intrigued.’
- ‘It was jacked off its foundations, lifted on to a large transporter with six wheels and pulled by two traction engines.’
- ‘A huge boiler drawn on a traction engine passed through Skipton on its way to Slingsby's Mill in Gargrave.’
- ‘Mr Coles said that winter was the perfect time for repairs to be carried out on a traction engine, because during the summer, they are busy attending fairs and rallies.’
- ‘But local industries saw the benefit of using a steam wagon, which was smaller and lighter than a traction engine towing a trailer.’
- ‘Thirteen teams will be operating thirteen historic threshing mills and a historic steam traction engine will drive each mill.’
- ‘Visitors will be able to see and take part in many activities, including steam traction engine displays and horse and tractor demonstrations.’
- ‘Now the firm whose steamrollers, traction engines, steam trams, trains and grass cutting equipment contributed to the city's industrial heritage has been recognised.’
- ‘He bought an old traction engine, a Burrell, which was the beginning of a fleet of engines.’
- ‘In Pickering, a classic car show on June 10 is cancelled but a traction engine rally in early August is still on.’
- ‘He had his own design for the bunkhouses which were towed to each job - the ‘stinkies’ as they are termed in the traction engine language.’
- ‘A collection of steam and traction engines, antique class cars, fair-ground organ etc. will also be centred at Bolger's yard while a large marquee is also to be erected.’
- ‘It was cut into four, and shifted by a traction engine owned by a local sawmiller.’
- ‘Using their mobile phones the drivers rang the fire service and told them of the devastation being wreaked as the traction engine chugged along.’
- ‘At the front is a guide to the principle features of the traction engine, so you can become quite the expert at the next steam rally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.