One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of housing development in which groups of essentially identical houses are built on a tract of subdivided land.
- ‘Photographs of rows of nondescript suburban tract housing along with an accompanying essay were presented as a magazine spread in Arts Magazine, December 1966.’
- ‘Investors routinely purchase undeveloped floodplain land for relatively low prices, throw up tract housing and then re-sell each unit at prices greatly inflated by the current housing bubble.’
- ‘The program called for the design of eight houses that would demonstrate modern alternatives to tract housing.’
- ‘Endless rows of suburban tract housing are sprouting up where corn once grew.’
- ‘In addition to causing social problems, the spread of tract housing exacerbated a host of environmental ills.’
- ‘Tall house, short setback - it's an all-too-common problem in modern tract housing, and the Hogans faced it too.’
- ‘Nowhere is the problem more visible than in the open expanse of southwestern Dade County, where tract housing gives way to sawgrass and airboat engines.’
- ‘As James looks out the window of the tract housing and sees the expanse of a wheat field for the first time, something inside him opens up.’
- ‘That means the price of land for suburban tract housing is heading ever upward.’
- ‘After adjusting to the exotic environment, the heat, and the realization that what used to be wilderness is now surrounded by tract housing development, the students get to work.’
- ‘Sooner or later, all of this land will be given over to strip malls and tract housing.’
- ‘But unlike everyday tract housing or conventional strip developments, the Marion Cultural Centre remains a critically reflexive exploration of itself and its context.’
- ‘In Vlas, a town just north of Sunny Beach, for example, we saw 200-room hotels under construction, lined up like dominos or suburban tract housing.’
- ‘This idea of simplicity may have something to do with widespread concerns during the last decade about the lack of architectural involvement in suburban tract housing.’
- ‘There are efficiencies that could translate into more architecture for less money, and it could compete with tract housing as a much higher-quality product.’
- ‘He then began photographing what had become banal suburbia, complete with tract housing, strip malls and gas stations.’
- ‘The surge of construction in the 1990's - dismal ranchettes insinuating themselves on the mountains of Wyoming, tract housing invading farm fields in Ohio - has enlisted a new constituency for change.’
- ‘Asphalt radiates solar heat like a stovetop, creating a heat island where farmlands and desert have been paved over to make room for tract housing and some four million vehicles.’
- ‘Predominant mass-market housing programs such as project homes or tract housing largely fail to meet the desires of people who appreciate a modernist design aesthetic.’
- ‘With that project under its belt, the company was able to exit the tract housing market and break into the expanding school construction arena.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.