One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person employed in laying and maintaining railroad track.
- ‘On the other side of the rail stood a trackman's cottage.’
- ‘The pursuer was employed by the defenders as a leading trackman, stationed at Shettlestone Permanent Way.’
- ‘"It was already dawn," continued the trackman, "when they calmed down and started to doze."’
- ‘Having secured the position of a trackman on the railway, the suspect, aided by several men, including a carpenter, began excavating a tunnel under the track.’
- ‘When the second mine was being laid, the conspirators came near being discovered by a trackman.’
2An athlete in track events.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.