One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person employed in laying and maintaining railroad track.
- ‘When the second mine was being laid, the conspirators came near being discovered by a trackman.’
- ‘The pursuer was employed by the defenders as a leading trackman, stationed at Shettlestone Permanent Way.’
- ‘On the other side of the rail stood a trackman's cottage.’
- ‘Having secured the position of a trackman on the railway, the suspect, aided by several men, including a carpenter, began excavating a tunnel under the track.’
- ‘"It was already dawn," continued the trackman, "when they calmed down and started to doze."’
2An athlete in track events.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.