One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Expressing joy or gaiety.‘off to his life, kids, and wife, tra la’
- ‘No more wondering whether to come out, to whom, how to phrase it, what their reaction would be, tra la la all that is over and done with.’
- ‘Not your ‘arms in the air, getting drunk tra la la’ stuff.’
- ‘It's the little things, the little things, the little things, tra la.’
- ‘And, tra la la la la, I'm having lunch with her and dinner with him.’
- ‘I like all the costumes and decorations and tra la la fun… but… trick or treating.’
Early 19th century: imitative of a fanfare or of the refrain of a song.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.