One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antigenic poison or venom of plant or animal origin, especially one produced by or derived from microorganisms and causing disease when present at low concentration in the body.
- ‘This is a powerful detoxifier which helps the body get rid of toxins and restores and protects the liver.’
- ‘It protects the body tissues from toxins from the atmosphere, food and other sources.’
- ‘For carcinogens and most reproductive toxins, however, regulators assume no threshold.’
- ‘One way the body can eliminate toxins is via the skin through sweating.’
- ‘Sweet juicy fruits are excellent cleansers - they help flush toxins out of the body.’
- ‘Doctors later realised Liam's appendix had burst, releasing dangerous toxins into his body.’
- ‘Detox diets are quite popular now, where you virtually fast for a week to get rid of all the toxins in your body.’
- ‘The liver is often the first organ to indicate reactions to herbal remedies as this is the part of the body where toxins collect.’
- ‘She informed me that she didn't mean for the whole four weeks, just for a few days to free my body of all the toxins.’
- ‘The caterpillars harness the plant toxins and use them as a natural defence against predation.’
- ‘I thought it might have just exploded and poisoned my poor body with it's toxins.’
- ‘In any of these diets increasing water intake is essential to help flush toxins out the body.’
- ‘It is common to find traces of toxins in plants and foods that are healing and nutritious.’
- ‘Poison dart frogs produce toxins that can kill 150 adult humans and are used by tribal people to catch food.’
- ‘Any water that is left over leaves the body with the toxins, through sweat and urine.’
- ‘Some types of bacteria release poisons called toxins while they are multiplying in food.’
- ‘This may be a bacterial infection or following the ingestion of plant or chemical toxins.’
- ‘If animals containing these toxins are eaten by humans, the result may be illness or even death.’
- ‘An infusion of the root, leaves and flowers encourages the elimination of toxins from the body.’
- ‘Water is also essential to good health, feeling vital and to flush toxins from the body.’
Late 19th century: from toxic + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.