Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a bacterium) producing a toxin or toxic effect.
- ‘Interestingly, some toxigenic strains of clostridial species other than C botulinum are capable of producing botulinum neurotoxin.’
- ‘Exposure to toxigenic spores, which circulated from unfiltered gravity-fed air heating systems, combined with environmental tobacco smoke, was linked with acute pulmonary hemorrhage among the infants.’
- ‘They say that the increased risk might be associated with toxigenic species of bacteria, such as Staphylococcus aureus, which grow well in body fluids that contaminate mattresses.’
- ‘In addition, toxigenic bacteria that have been implicated in sudden infant death syndrome do reside in used infant mattresses.’
- ‘Another grain mold, Penicillium grain mold (Penicillium ear rot), can cause embryo discoloration known as ‘blue eye’ and lead to the production of penicillic acid, which is not usually a toxigenic concern.’
- ‘At the time of venous blood drawing, these individuals did not present the neurological and behavioral symptoms found in patients exposed to toxigenic molds.’
- ‘Several species of fungi that colonize corn produce mycotoxins, however not all isolates of a toxigenic species produce mycotoxins and isolates capable of producing a mycotoxin do not always synthesize the toxin.’
- ‘Undiluted and diluted cell free filtrates of isolates and known toxigenic and non-toxigenic bacteria were added to Vero cell monolayer in microtitre plates.’
- ‘There, by colonizing the peanut pod zone, the mold becomes a living shield against toxigenic fungi.’
- ‘Blood samples were drawn from the patients and from 40 age- and sex-matched control subjects who had no history of exposure to toxigenic indoor molds or symptoms associated with such exposure.’
- ‘Bordello et al. were the first to demonstrate C. perfringens enterotoxin with high counts of toxigenic organisms in patients with diarrhoea after antibiotic treatment.’
- ‘Of the 32 babies Dearborn and his colleagues have treated, he says, ‘Ninety percent have come from water-damaged homes containing toxigenic fungi and environmental tobacco smoke.’’
- ‘Simultaneous detection of antibodies against both toxigenic fungi and their mycotoxins may indicate occupational exposure to molds and their metabolites in a subpopulation of individuals exposed to molds.’
- ‘The dead spores are still allergenic and toxigenic.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.