One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of signs and symptoms constituting the basis for a diagnosis of poisoning.
- ‘Naloxone administration should follow local protocol, but studies have shown that its effectiveness is limited in the absence of a documented narcotic toxidrome.’
- ‘The book covers most of the commonly encountered as well as commonly tested topics in emergency medicine, including ACLS, trauma protocol, infectious disease etiology, and appropriate drug therapy, toxidromes and antidotes, electrolyte disorders, neurologic presentations, ophthalmology emergencies, and so on.’
- ‘Knowledge of the general classes of agents-including specific toxidromes, unusual clinical signs and symptoms, and unusual clusters of patients exhibiting similar signs and symptoms-should serve to alert clinicians to a potential event.’
- ‘These signs are consistent with an anticholinergic toxidrome.’
- ‘Of these, 20 presented to EDs with signs and symptoms consistent with cholinergic toxidrome, although the specific findings for each patient varied.’
- ‘Ingestion of jimson weed produces the toxidrome of anticholinergic intoxication.’
- ‘Even if the signs and symptoms of a patient are not complete, they may still be considered as part of a toxidrome and are therefore useful in establishing the correct etiology.’
- ‘They also must be familiar in identifying toxidromes and important physical examination findings.’
- ‘A toxidrome is the constellation of signs and symptoms that suggest a specific class of poisoning.’
- ‘This toxidrome is usually differentiated from the anticholinergic toxidrome by the presence of marked diaphoresis (instead of dry skin).’
- ‘Sinus tachycardia is often found on ECG as a result of the antimuscarinic toxidrome.’
- ‘Eh… I wouldn't think you'd mistake Jimson weed toxicity for morning glory toxicity… I've seen one case of Jimson weed use and I will never forget that toxidrome.’
- ‘Most poisons either have no associated toxidrome or have only some of the expected features of the toxidrome.’
- ‘This toxidrome is characterized peripherally by tachycardia, mild hyperthermia, mydriasis, diminished bowel sounds, dry skin, urinary retention, and picking behavior.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.