One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘From within the amalgam, I was surprised to detect a hint of cigar smoke, a Black and Mild, and that scent whisked me quickly back to ballparks and football fields, where I had happily inhaled the toxically sweet fumes many times before.’
- ‘They have the most toxically polluted air in America.’
- ‘He pulled himself from his room with all the enthusiasm of a pallbearer, irritation mixing toxically with his present self-hatred as he chased them lazily through the unit.’
- ‘America is fuelled by a faith that toxically mixes puritanism and capitalism, ‘personal growth’ (as the self-help manuals call it) and financial gain.’
- ‘This seed of psychological denial festered toxically when the New England entrepreneurs abandoned overseas trade and discovered manufacturing labor relations and factories at home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.