One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Acute septicemia in women, typically caused by bacterial infection from a retained tampon or IUD.
- ‘Staphylococcus aureus is the organism responsible for classic toxic shock syndrome and scalded skin syndrome.’
- ‘The research offers new approaches to antibiotic and vaccine design, and answers long-standing questions about the origins of two diseases: toxic shock syndrome and antibiotic-resistant infections.’
- ‘Certain types of these bacteria are also responsible for distinctive rashes on the skin, including the rashes associated with scarlet fever and toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘I know that doctors recommend not leaving anything in your vagina for more than 8 hours, to avoid getting a dangerous infection like toxic shock syndrome, but I don't stick too closely to this.’
- ‘This relates to the fact that group A streptococci can cause necrotising fasciitis and associated toxic shock syndrome with profound discoloration and sloughing of the skin.’
- ‘Doing so can cause infection, irritation, or even toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘Staph bacteria can cause folliculitis, boils, scalded skin syndrome, impetigo, toxic shock syndrome, cellulitis, and other types of infections.’
- ‘A related infection, streptococcal toxic shock syndrome, or STSS, is caused by streptococcus bacteria.’
- ‘They reflected on recent decisions in regard to asbestos, lung disease, toxic shock syndrome, Agent Orange, lead, tobacco, and fen-phen, the slimming pill.’
- ‘Not only have traditional tampons been linked to toxic shock syndrome, they are made of synthetic fibers, contain chemical fragrances and may harbor traces of dioxin, a by-product of chlorine bleach.’
- ‘You could get a serious infection, such as toxic shock syndrome, if you leave the diaphragm in your vagina for more than 24 hours.’
- ‘GAS infections can range from mild skin infection or strep throat to invasive, life-threatening conditions such as toxic shock syndrome and necrotizing fasciitis.’
- ‘Use of a diaphragm is contraindicated in women with hypersensitivity to latex (unless the wide seal rim diaphragm is used) or a history of toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘High absorbency tampons left in the vagina for a long time have been associated with a dangerous illness called toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘Staphylococcal infection may also cause impetigo and toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘And there was another outbreak I think maybe it was in the Minneapolis area of toxic shock syndrome not related to tampon use.’
- ‘In recent years, tuberculosis, malaria, and cholera, which were in sharp decline, have returned, while new and frightening diseases like AIDS, Ebola virus, and toxic shock syndrome have appeared.’
- ‘Half were admitted to the hospital to get intravenous antibiotics, and a few developed life-threatening lung and heart infections or toxic shock syndrome.’
- ‘The overall mortality was 7 per cent and there were 18 cases of streptococcal toxic shock syndrome in which the mortality was 22 per cent.’
- ‘Complementary data on the occurrence of necrotising fasciitis and toxic shock syndrome in these districts suggested a real increase in the occurrence of serious forms of GAS infection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.