Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for city planning
- ‘Towns and experts from all over the world are able to exchange information and experiences in the area of urban lighting and promote light as an integral feature of urban life, architecture and town planning.’
- ‘As a result, the book reads like the first draft of what could have been a useful addition to the discussion of British town planning.’
- ‘Some are fairly straightforward: textbooks of cosmology, history, religious observance, law, town planning and home management.’
- ‘That involves a combination of town planning, the development of key infrastructure, and a focus on key business clusters.’
- ‘Two years before, the architect had succeeded Walter Gropius as Dean of the Harvard School of Design, where he was preaching a new unity of architecture and town planning.’
- ‘I'm becoming increasingly interested in urban design and town planning, mainly as a consumer.’
- ‘These matters were raised in the early studies of town planning and urban development by Pigou and articulated convincingly by Liepmann as given in Table 1.’
- ‘Topics up for discussion include current values, property funding, construction trends, strategic town planning and development.’
- ‘Erskine became well known for his humanist town planning in Britain and Sweden.’
- ‘The loss of the Water Gardens would be particularly disappointing for the people of Harlow as well as for 20th century architecture and town planning.’
- ‘It concentrates on town planning and the construction of new port facilities that greatly enhanced the city's stature as a center of maritime trade.’
- ‘The programme is made up of members from the departments of health, fire, building control, town planning and police.’
- ‘Architecture and town planning reflect the social and political structure of a society.’
- ‘Is it a game about town planning, or people development or is it merely a toy?’
- ‘Once you've built one of these buildings, wouldn't it further complicate future town planning and development?’
- ‘Since decriminalisation, we have heard a lot from local governments that can now control brothel licensing and town planning.’
- ‘But university administrators said that he had been a dedicated student of town planning and urban development who had specialised in urban renewal.’
- ‘Formal town planning in Hong Kong dates from 1939 when the Town Planning Ordinance was enacted.’
- ‘Permission for building construction, remodelling and town planning is granted by the local self-governments.’
- ‘We may not agree that these rules are sufficient for town planning, but I think we should accept them as necessary.’
town planning/ˌtoun ˈplaniNG/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.