One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chief executive officer in a garrison town or fortress.
- ‘I had town majors who have straight away hanged a Russian for the theft of a piece of soap.’
- ‘Gynkeesh people are ruled by the free market, their towns are ruled by merchant guilds and town majors.’
- ‘When the train pulled in every man, town majors and all, were waiting to go aboard.’
- ‘No one is better qualified: he is an authority on Knaresborough, the traditional birthplace of the soothsayer, and was twice town major.’
- ‘The town major generally saw to the details of military administration, and in particular the lodging of the troops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.