Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An elected governing body in a town.
council, town council, municipal authority, civic authorityView synonyms
- ‘Her husband is currently a member of the town council on which she served for nine years from 1987.’
- ‘The building is owned by Burnley council and the town council rents a room there.’
- ‘The town council decided to contact Tendring Council about a risk assessment.’
- ‘The town council's finance committee recommended no change to the levels earlier this week.’
- ‘He says it is a common complaint and the town council needs to put a system of gritting in place.’
- ‘Several other councillors said the town council should add its full backing to the festival.’
- ‘How long before the town council tries to change the boundaries again to gain more council tax?’
- ‘He had been elected onto the town council at the local elections in May last year.’
- ‘Members of the town council made it clear when they met on Monday that they supported the single site concept.’
- ‘A councillor has donated a hand bell to a new town council in memory of his wife.’
- ‘The town council resolved to write to the county council and West Wiltshire Housing Society.’
- ‘He had been a member of the US-backed town council and had eschewed incitements of violence.’
- ‘The town council will now write to the county council asking them to revise the plan.’
- ‘The lease on the building has now expired and the town council is waiting for the city council to come up with a new one.’
- ‘The town council has now referred the borough council's dealings to the Audit Commission.’
- ‘It is no secret that some district councillors had little or no time for the new town council.’
- ‘Mrs Martin agreed to take the suggestion to the town council and the youth council.’
- ‘The town council and North Wiltshire District Council are not issuing any statements.’
- ‘The town council will write to Essex County Council with its concerns as a matter of urgency.’
- ‘The town hall is owned by North Wiltshire District Council but the facility is run by the town council.’
town council/toun ˈkounsəl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.