One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
contest, competition, game, tournament, tie, cup tie, event, fixture, trial, test, test match, meet, bout, fight, duelView synonyms
- ‘More than any other sporting event, the tourney serves as a life milestone - the same way certain smells or music always bring back memories of a time and a place or an awkward kiss with a graceful girl.’
- ‘Ile des Chenes did not win a game at the tourney but came away with the experience of a lifetime.’
- ‘It was Christmas at Arthur's court in Camelot, and all of the gracious lords and worthy, noble knights had gathered for a fifteen day Christmas celebration, complete with jousting tourneys, singing, dancing, and feasting.’
- ‘Hence, the play-in game would be considered part of the tourney, and participants would receive a full share of tournament revenues.’
- ‘George Washington, which faltered after a brilliant start, will be a tough matchup in the league tourney.’
- ‘The tourney is at the final four stage now with Illinois, Louisville, Michigan State and North Carolina vying for the crown.’
- ‘A King and Queen are chosen every six months in a crown tourney fought with sticks to decide the King or Queen, and consort.’
- ‘In the thunder of the hunt today we hear echoes of the joust, the tourney and the cavalry charge.’
- ‘Everyone did a 200 meter time trial to seed for the tourney.’
- ‘Actually he made just one bad move in the whole tournament and this wasn't exactly a short tourney.’
- ‘The Panthers will be a tough out in the tourney because they know how to slow down a game and limit their turnovers, which will prevent big-name schools from pressing their athletic advantage.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, Bob and I immediately got into a pickup 1830 game in preparation for the 1830 tourney to begin that night.’
- ‘Next week the Selects travel to Prince Albert to compete in an annual tourney there.’
- ‘During the tourney, we'll track the writers' performance and match it against the public's.’
- ‘The Inter Club waterpolo championship was the second tourney on the waterpolo calendar.’
- ‘Even the women's Nationals had only nine players and the men's draws for this event and the team selection tourneys have been disappointingly small as well.’
- ‘But in a tourney loaded with talent, anything can happen on the final day when pressure is at its peak.’
- ‘There is a lot of gambling on the tourney, but it's the friendly, friction free kind that even novices can get involved in.’
- ‘I get my final corrected schedule 1 day before the tourney.’
- ‘Comb alternative weeklies for details on festivals and concerts; pick up regional sports publications for the latest on athletic clubs and events like kickball tourneys and 10K's.’
Take part in a tournament.
joust, tourney, enter the listsView synonyms
- ‘Wherefore, though his hair be grizzled and his face marked with serried lines, he departed not the passage of arms for straight love of tourneying.’
Middle English: from Old French tornei (noun), torneier (verb), based on Latin tornus ‘a turn’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.