One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small round thick cut from a fillet of beef.
- ‘But if you miss out the first time, reorder the chef's impressively fluffy paella, or the beef tournedos, perfectly seared and peppery around the edges, in a Cabrales-cheese sauce.’
- ‘Moire and David can look forward to fine wine and culinary delights such as sweetbreads, foie gras, tournedos of Angus beef and - though not the most romantic food for an anniversary - stuffed pig's trotters.’
- ‘Last night we had grilled tournedos of venison with roasted red pepper sauce, baked potatoes stuffed with mushrooms and onions, chantanay carrots and roast parsnips.’
- ‘The main room offers gourmet appetizers like caviar potato skins, Brie and mango quesadillas, goat cheese pizza, tuna steak tournedos, and fresh sushi rolls.’
- ‘I'm so nervous that I can barely finish my tournedos of venison.’
- ‘A zebra fillet, portioned into tournedos, is incomparably the finest meat that is obtainable in a Bushveld camp.’
- ‘The final two items were tournedos with foie parmentier, crispy roots and sweet rum reduction followed by grilled fruits with pina colada soup.’
- ‘Thick tournedos sliced horizontally in three, layered with caramelized onions, they did look like incredibly indulgent burgers.’
- ‘The Queen had it rolled round her asparagus before tucking in to tournedos of beef and meringue vacherin at the Guildhall luncheon during Jubilee weekend.’
- ‘Ms Maclaine ordered the 6oz tournedos of beef with a cauliflower purée and a veal and truffle dressing, topped with Sneem black pudding ravioli.’
- ‘When ready to serve, with a sharp knife remove the string and cut the pork belly roll every 5cm to create small round tournedos.’
- ‘Our first tasting included the deer fillet tournedos in a mushroom sauce, the venison stew and a wild boar stew.’
- ‘Standouts include the hoisin-glazed grilled Atlantic salmon and the applewood bacon-wrapped giant scallop tournedos.’
- ‘The finished product was a mouth-watering menu with a starter of pan seared sea scallops followed by crusted beef tournedos and finally raspberry soufflé.’
- ‘A typical meal might be a warm salad of Port Seton langoustines with a lime dressing, followed by tournedos of Angus beef with shallot and oxtail confit.’
- ‘Among more hefty items, however, the chicken breast, set atop a pedestal of couscous, tasted unaccountably of mint syrup, and the beef tournedos I sampled were flavorful but a little dry.’
- ‘The tightly bound tournedos of salmon adorned with candied lime was inedible - none of the flaky, moist delicateness that the fish is all about.’
French, from tourner ‘to turn’ + dos ‘back’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.