Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small round thick cut from a fillet of beef.
- ‘Moire and David can look forward to fine wine and culinary delights such as sweetbreads, foie gras, tournedos of Angus beef and - though not the most romantic food for an anniversary - stuffed pig's trotters.’
- ‘The finished product was a mouth-watering menu with a starter of pan seared sea scallops followed by crusted beef tournedos and finally raspberry soufflé.’
- ‘Among more hefty items, however, the chicken breast, set atop a pedestal of couscous, tasted unaccountably of mint syrup, and the beef tournedos I sampled were flavorful but a little dry.’
- ‘The main room offers gourmet appetizers like caviar potato skins, Brie and mango quesadillas, goat cheese pizza, tuna steak tournedos, and fresh sushi rolls.’
- ‘Standouts include the hoisin-glazed grilled Atlantic salmon and the applewood bacon-wrapped giant scallop tournedos.’
- ‘Ms Maclaine ordered the 6oz tournedos of beef with a cauliflower purée and a veal and truffle dressing, topped with Sneem black pudding ravioli.’
- ‘Our first tasting included the deer fillet tournedos in a mushroom sauce, the venison stew and a wild boar stew.’
- ‘A zebra fillet, portioned into tournedos, is incomparably the finest meat that is obtainable in a Bushveld camp.’
- ‘A typical meal might be a warm salad of Port Seton langoustines with a lime dressing, followed by tournedos of Angus beef with shallot and oxtail confit.’
- ‘The final two items were tournedos with foie parmentier, crispy roots and sweet rum reduction followed by grilled fruits with pina colada soup.’
- ‘I'm so nervous that I can barely finish my tournedos of venison.’
- ‘The Queen had it rolled round her asparagus before tucking in to tournedos of beef and meringue vacherin at the Guildhall luncheon during Jubilee weekend.’
- ‘Last night we had grilled tournedos of venison with roasted red pepper sauce, baked potatoes stuffed with mushrooms and onions, chantanay carrots and roast parsnips.’
- ‘But if you miss out the first time, reorder the chef's impressively fluffy paella, or the beef tournedos, perfectly seared and peppery around the edges, in a Cabrales-cheese sauce.’
- ‘Thick tournedos sliced horizontally in three, layered with caramelized onions, they did look like incredibly indulgent burgers.’
- ‘When ready to serve, with a sharp knife remove the string and cut the pork belly roll every 5cm to create small round tournedos.’
- ‘The tightly bound tournedos of salmon adorned with candied lime was inedible - none of the flaky, moist delicateness that the fish is all about.’
French, from tourner to turn + dos back.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.