One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The commercial organization and operation of vacations and visits to places of interest.
- ‘A city so reliant on tourism will deter repeat visits if it looks filthy or unkempt.’
- ‘City fathers have long known the advantages for commerce and tourism of being car friendly.’
- ‘The tourism industry plays a major part in the economies of many of the countries.’
- ‘He was in his 50s and had moved from the sugar industry into tourism around five years ago.’
- ‘We all know of the success York has in high-tech business, its university and tourism.’
- ‘His idea was to promote and generate tourism and interest in historical matters.’
- ‘Other challenges include public transport and the impact of tourism on the environment.’
- ‘It is also likely to cause concern among the global travel industry and tourism bodies in America.’
- ‘In the tourism business, holidays in the desert are something of a final frontier.’
- ‘Tourism has been seriously hit and tourism is a major employer and has huge purchasing power.’
- ‘This will be done with the help of tourism offices and the Visit Britain organisation.’
- ‘The village was once a prosperous town but now has few shops, apart from those supported by tourism.’
- ‘It ended as a brainstorming session with tourism officials about a nonstop flight.’
- ‘It is just now that local people are realizing the potential for this type of tourism.’
- ‘Thirty years ago, farming was a major industry and tourism was of minor importance.’
- ‘The city has a strong and diverse economy, with tourism generating millions of dollars a year.’
- ‘Our visitor numbers are through the roof and tourism is becoming the boom industry in Hull.’
- ‘But the wage is the same amount of cash the council wants to slash from tourism and leisure.’
- ‘We are not going to just roll over and say we're not interested in tourism any more.’
- ‘She wants to write a novel and embark on a new career in the marketing and tourism and leisure industry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.