Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A car designed with room for passengers and luggage.
- ‘These are good touring cars with a lusty V8 at the sharp end and rear wheel drive.’
- ‘Yes while the brakes lack total feel, and the centre console is plastic, and both the Carrera GT and the Murcielago are more extreme machines to drive, the SLR is the only hyper-grand touring car on the planet.’
- ‘On quite a few occasions it was our touring car for the nightclub circuit.’
- ‘If you have a passion for fast and sporty classic and touring cars, then make a date in your diary for this weekend.’
- ‘Mr. Westcott was the successful manufacturer of a luxury touring car whose popularity until the mid-1920s enabled the family to build a grand home in the fashionable industrialist's section of Springfield.’
- ‘It was a brand new open-air touring car, with a white and black body, red seats, and red spoked wheels.’
- ‘He accepts the criticism that it seems to evoke an era of touring car that was in style in the 1930s, before Doc was born.’
- ‘For a rapid touring car, the 63 litre fuel tank seemed to have enough capacity, but don't ask me what my fuel consumption figures were.’
- ‘Oh and let's not forget the erotic and romantic scenes in the Renault touring car.’
- ‘They finally put me in a Mercedes touring car with red leather upholstery and the top down.’
- ‘‘It's all right, Parker,’ Drex said, turning his neck to look at me, as the touring car pulled away from the Plaza Hotel, onto Central Park South.’
- ‘Look at them as grand touring cars, and they begin to make a lot more sense.’
- ‘This is a real touring car capable of simply eating long distance journeys for breakfast.’
- ‘It would make an excellent touring car and its Mercedes background gives me every confidence in its reliability.’
- ‘I also remember sitting in the back of a Pierce Arrow touring car, which was a very luxurious vehicle, singing a song in Greek about a young boy who falls in love with an older girl.’
- ‘The oldest vehicle on show was a 1924 Morris Cowley four-seat touring car, which was originally put on the market for less than £200.’
- ‘Will you also request the criminal authorities to start an investigation as to who placed a quantity of emery sand in the motor of the Cadillac touring car, which was seriously damaged.’
- ‘They later went on to use touring cars and buses and continued to grow and expand into related fields such as vacation tours.’
- ‘Outdoors, we've got flying gardeners, city gardeners, gay gardeners in touring cars, and makeover gardeners with burbling water features.’
- ‘This isn't a focused sports car but it is a good touring car.’
- 1.1 A touring car used in auto racing, as distinct from a specially designed race car.
- ‘The race is again expected to attract a big field of GT sports cars and touring cars from Australia and overseas.’
- ‘The British touring car championship always was the best and it always should be, but right now I'm not so sure.’
- ‘I'm just thrilled to be here and competing with the big boys in touring cars.’
- ‘‘I intend to keep racing touring cars for the next 10 years, and to be honest I can't see much further than that,’ he says.’
- ‘Generally there are around 100 plus entrants, mainly of the touring car classes.’
- ‘At the conclusion of two qualifying sessions, one during the day and one at night, we were very pleased to have been as high as 26th overall, and third in Class A6 for touring cars up to 3.2-litres.’
- ‘Next year I want to make a name for myself in touring cars, and help SEAT win the manufacturers title.’
- ‘He was picked up by the touring cars championship and his elevation to the full factory squad this year has released his talent.’
- ‘On Sunday, the touring cars adorned with the four rings and delivering more than 460 hp will be among the protagonists in the DTM invitation race staged in the Asian metropolis.’
- ‘Nowadays the touring cars and superbikes, the two premier spectator events of the year, provide less than half the circuit's income.’
- ‘In touring car racing the cars are there first and then you try to squeeze them into a common set of regulations and you have to deal with it every other month.’
- ‘I won the touring car feature race last weekend and it would be great to win this weekend and have success on both fronts.’
- ‘Nattavude has a wealth of experience at Macau having competed there for many years in touring cars and, more recently in the Porsche Infineon Carrera Cup Asia.’
- ‘Four top-line car manufacturers are lining up to claim this year's DTM championship, recognised by many as the most prestigious touring car championship in the world.’
- ‘What we've got is the best touring car championship in the world and now we are exporting it to the world.’
- ‘The weekend is a fantastic opportunity to catch top-flight touring cars and dream sports cars in full race glory with unlimited access to the paddock for all visitors.’
- ‘The popular, generous man, described by colleagues, family and friends alike as good, honest and loyal, spent his spare time racing touring cars and playing golf with his brother Stephen and his stepfather John.’
- ‘There are some corners where you balance the throttle, there are high speed braking points, basically everything you'll find throughout the touring car championship, except for the undulations you have at a track like Spa.’
- ‘This is so much more than simply the tale of the charismatic Italian star, who lost both his legs in a horrifying 190 mph accident at the Lausitzring in 2001, and his fight to race again in touring cars after being given prosthetic limbs.’
- ‘Yesterday's meeting of the touring car championship was the first of 12 to be held at circuits throughout Britain, including Silverstone and Donington.’
touring car/ˈto͝oriNG ˌkär/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.