One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A strip of paper impregnated with niter, for lighting fireworks or explosive substances.
- ‘And he can light the blue touchpaper on a Roman Candle, but it may be impossible to tell whether the ensuing two second fizzing is the intended special effect or a product malfunction.’
- ‘Light the blue touchpaper, and retire to a safe distance.’
- ‘They delight in allowing their children within close proximity of devices that will burn their faces off quicker than you can say 'light the blue touchpaper and stand well back'.’
- ‘At the time the first touchpaper was scheduled to be lit, cars were still queueing bumper to bumper on Netherhampton Road.’
- 1.1 Used in reference to an action that is likely to cause anger or controversy.‘it was an intervention by the umpire that lit the blue touchpaper’
- ‘I like to think that I am not unduly irritated by life, but the last week has finally lit my personal touchpaper.’
- ‘Asked to look to the future Adu briefly hesitates, perhaps wary of relighting the promotional touchpaper, yet can't resist touching on the 2006 World Cup in Germany.’
- ‘The blue touchpaper has been lit and things will explode in Question Time today.’
- ‘He may not be around to light the blue touchpaper at future internationals, but fireworks lie ahead.’
- ‘The Prime Minister had lit the touchpaper and retired to Downing Street, job done.’
- ‘It was those last words that finally lit the blue touchpaper.’
- ‘Any proposed variation of a ban immediately ignites a toxic touchpaper.’
- ‘Mentioning it to members of the 1958 squad was lighting the blue touchpaper of 45-year-old grievances.’
- ‘By contrast, now I just sit there and wait for the magic word to set off the blue touchpaper.’
- ‘If we follow this route, I think we can both say, with considerable justification, that we have exhausted every conceivable avenue prior to lighting the litigation touchpaper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.