One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ball one downs deliberately behind one's own goal line or that is kicked through one's end zone. It is taken to the 20-yard line to resume play.
- ‘The ball was knocked out of his hand at the two-yard line and recovered by the Bengals for a touchback.’
- ‘He has posted 12 touchbacks and has become adept at pushing the ball to one side or the other to reduce the running room for return men.’
- ‘The second was also risky, as Stanley had not shown his regular touch, and a touchback would have only resulted in a net 11 yards.’
- ‘Against Seattle last week, the Jaguars had four kick-offs go for touchbacks and pinned the Seahawks inside the 10-yard line on consecutive possessions.’
- ‘Watson nearly caused a touchback, as the ball narrowly missed the endzone on its way out of bounds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.