One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ball one downs deliberately behind one's own goal line or that is kicked through one's end zone. It is taken to the 20-yard line to resume play.
- ‘The ball was knocked out of his hand at the two-yard line and recovered by the Bengals for a touchback.’
- ‘The second was also risky, as Stanley had not shown his regular touch, and a touchback would have only resulted in a net 11 yards.’
- ‘Against Seattle last week, the Jaguars had four kick-offs go for touchbacks and pinned the Seahawks inside the 10-yard line on consecutive possessions.’
- ‘Watson nearly caused a touchback, as the ball narrowly missed the endzone on its way out of bounds.’
- ‘He has posted 12 touchbacks and has become adept at pushing the ball to one side or the other to reduce the running room for return men.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.