Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small tropical American toucan with mainly green plumage.
- ‘Toucans range from 20 inches to 25 inches while toucanets and aracaris are from 14 inches to 16 inches in length.’
- ‘The Guianan toucanet is almost exclusively found in the forest and savanna region.’
- ‘Although Ramphastos toucans are impressive, I prefer some of the smaller araçaris and toucanets.’
- ‘The toucanets have mostly green plumage with blue markings.’
- ‘Unfortunately, toucans are quite expensive; toucanets and aracaris are less expensive.’
Early 19th century: diminutive of toucan.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.