Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small tropical American toucan with mainly green plumage.
- ‘Unfortunately, toucans are quite expensive; toucanets and aracaris are less expensive.’
- ‘The toucanets have mostly green plumage with blue markings.’
- ‘Although Ramphastos toucans are impressive, I prefer some of the smaller araçaris and toucanets.’
- ‘Toucans range from 20 inches to 25 inches while toucanets and aracaris are from 14 inches to 16 inches in length.’
- ‘The Guianan toucanet is almost exclusively found in the forest and savanna region.’
Early 19th century: diminutive of toucan.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.