Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The Calvinist doctrine that human nature is thoroughly corrupt and sinful as a result of the Fall.
- ‘This is what theologians mean when they speak of total depravity.’
- ‘In Christian circles we talk about something called total depravity.’
- ‘Preach to us about our total depravity and God's sovereign electing mercy and grace.’
- ‘Thirdly, this truth of total depravity and inability led me to see that in evangelizing others, we are wholly dependent on the grace and power of God, and not on our ability to convince or persuade them.’
- ‘The causes can be found in theological theory, most especially the idea of total depravity, or original sin, and the notion of predestination, as well as in cultural history and economic conditions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.