One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Mexican deep-fried tortilla topped with a seasoned mixture of beans, ground meat, and vegetables.
- ‘In a Mexican grotto on 14th Street, kitsch provides the kick, but it's shrimp tostadas and earthy enchiladas that keep the crowds returning to El Rey del Sol.’
- ‘Minerva's healthy-looking 9-year-old daughter chatters in English as she wolfs down tostadas at the table with the other kids.’
- ‘Next up is a Mexican section preparing chicken, beef or pork fajitas, plus tostadas, Veracruz style fish, stuffed bell peppers and refried beans, with many Mexican sauces and condiments to go with them.’
- ‘Stale but not dried-out tortillas can be converted into tostadas by frying them and serving with some kind of topping - melted cheese, guacamole, fried beans, or shredded meat and salad.’
- ‘Tacos, enchiladas, tostadas and burritos can be ordered as either entrées or mains, and are ordered per item (for example: a beef taco is $3.60, a chicken burrito is $8.00).’
- ‘Be assured, however, that these white tacos and tostadas are just as tasty and delicious as those made with yellow corn.’
- ‘There are also the Fajitas Californianas, standard but fresh and tasty fajitas made on four tortillas, and the Tostada de pollo, a corn tostada topped with grilled chicken, cheese and chipotle chilli sauce.’
- ‘She also sells a variety of goods from Mexico, including vanilla, bouillon, hot sauces and peppers, corn tostadas and all ingredients needed to make tamales, including cornhusks and seasonings.’
- ‘She explains the difference between chimichangas, burritos, tacos, tostadas, enchiladas and fajitas.’
- ‘I look in the cabinets, grab some tostadas, shred some chicken, and make some appetizers before dinner.’
- ‘For the next few minutes, I ate my tostada salad.’
- ‘No matter where your tastes take you, serve the tostada with pinto beans and Mexican rice for a satisfying weeknight fiesta.’
- ‘As for more mainstream Mexican fare, the buffet has it all: tostadas, tacos, quesadillas, fajitas and a make-your-own burrito bar.’
- ‘A nearly identical ground-beef tostada sits nearby, layered with those great bacony beans, and that makes me happy, too.’
- ‘The first time I made this recipe, I made very tasty thick tostadas, which was a nice surprise.’
- ‘Fry tortillas until crisp an you have what is essentially a tostada.’
- ‘The other selection was a vegetarian tostada, a bed of lettuce with a corn tortilla and the usual suspects - sweetcorn, salsa, cheese and sour cream.’
- ‘For the flaxseed tostadas, in a commercial blender on low speed, purée the flaxseeds, garlic, cilantro, lemon, and enough water to form a smooth paste.’
- ‘You get pumping Latin jazz four nights a week while you sit on comfy couches tasting Latino snacks like tostados and corn kernels.’
- ‘This is cheap, but the tostadas are an even better deal.’
Spanish, literally ‘toasted’, past participle of tostar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.