One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Mexican deep-fried tortilla topped with a seasoned mixture of beans, ground meat, and vegetables.
- ‘Fry tortillas until crisp an you have what is essentially a tostada.’
- ‘I look in the cabinets, grab some tostadas, shred some chicken, and make some appetizers before dinner.’
- ‘The other selection was a vegetarian tostada, a bed of lettuce with a corn tortilla and the usual suspects - sweetcorn, salsa, cheese and sour cream.’
- ‘She also sells a variety of goods from Mexico, including vanilla, bouillon, hot sauces and peppers, corn tostadas and all ingredients needed to make tamales, including cornhusks and seasonings.’
- ‘Tacos, enchiladas, tostadas and burritos can be ordered as either entrées or mains, and are ordered per item (for example: a beef taco is $3.60, a chicken burrito is $8.00).’
- ‘There are also the Fajitas Californianas, standard but fresh and tasty fajitas made on four tortillas, and the Tostada de pollo, a corn tostada topped with grilled chicken, cheese and chipotle chilli sauce.’
- ‘Minerva's healthy-looking 9-year-old daughter chatters in English as she wolfs down tostadas at the table with the other kids.’
- ‘Stale but not dried-out tortillas can be converted into tostadas by frying them and serving with some kind of topping - melted cheese, guacamole, fried beans, or shredded meat and salad.’
- ‘No matter where your tastes take you, serve the tostada with pinto beans and Mexican rice for a satisfying weeknight fiesta.’
- ‘For the next few minutes, I ate my tostada salad.’
- ‘She explains the difference between chimichangas, burritos, tacos, tostadas, enchiladas and fajitas.’
- ‘As for more mainstream Mexican fare, the buffet has it all: tostadas, tacos, quesadillas, fajitas and a make-your-own burrito bar.’
- ‘In a Mexican grotto on 14th Street, kitsch provides the kick, but it's shrimp tostadas and earthy enchiladas that keep the crowds returning to El Rey del Sol.’
- ‘This is cheap, but the tostadas are an even better deal.’
- ‘Be assured, however, that these white tacos and tostadas are just as tasty and delicious as those made with yellow corn.’
- ‘A nearly identical ground-beef tostada sits nearby, layered with those great bacony beans, and that makes me happy, too.’
- ‘You get pumping Latin jazz four nights a week while you sit on comfy couches tasting Latino snacks like tostados and corn kernels.’
- ‘For the flaxseed tostadas, in a commercial blender on low speed, purée the flaxseeds, garlic, cilantro, lemon, and enough water to form a smooth paste.’
- ‘Next up is a Mexican section preparing chicken, beef or pork fajitas, plus tostadas, Veracruz style fish, stuffed bell peppers and refried beans, with many Mexican sauces and condiments to go with them.’
- ‘The first time I made this recipe, I made very tasty thick tostadas, which was a nice surprise.’
Spanish, literally ‘toasted’, past participle of tostar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.