Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tortoiseshell cat.‘I currently have two torties and a calico as foster cats’
- ‘We just thought it was because she's a tortie and therefore special.’
- ‘If the mating was successful, we will be expecting some lovely babies in this litter, quite possibly torties, tortie tabbies and solids.’
- ‘The oldest is another tiny, shy tortie called Jess. She's a true lap cat and loves a fuss.’
- ‘I have a tortie named Pepper.’
- ‘My vet takes no guff from snotty torties.’
1940s: diminutive of tortoiseshell.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.