One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tortoiseshell cat.‘I currently have two torties and a calico as foster cats’
- ‘If the mating was successful, we will be expecting some lovely babies in this litter, quite possibly torties, tortie tabbies and solids.’
- ‘My vet takes no guff from snotty torties.’
- ‘We just thought it was because she's a tortie and therefore special.’
- ‘The oldest is another tiny, shy tortie called Jess. She's a true lap cat and loves a fuss.’
- ‘I have a tortie named Pepper.’
1940s: diminutive of tortoiseshell.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.