One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sweet cake or tart.
- ‘For dessert there is a wide selection of cakes and tarts such as white and dark chocolate tortes, berry tarts and pecan pie.’
- ‘For dessert we shared the warm chocolate and hazelnut torte with Marsala sabayon and coffee caramel.’
- ‘All over Germany there are Konditorei famous for their torte and kuchen, fruit tarts and pastries.’
- ‘Another neighbor at the potluck had bagged it while the rest of us were finishing a chocolate hazelnut torte.’
- ‘Coffee houses - with the most glorious cream cakes and chocolate tortes in their windows - are everywhere.’
- ‘For those averse to fruitcakes and all that goes into them, there are traditional feather-light sponge cakes in exotic flavours such as the strawberry torte and the egg-less lychee gateaux.’
- ‘While I can refuse the warm dark chocolate torte with white chocolate sorbet and the pink grapefruit, orange and mango terrine I am powerless to resist the home-made cookies and ice-cream.’
- ‘We decided on afternoon coffee and chanced upon L' Oeuferie which not only had stunning bottomless coffee, but a cake display of particular note - extraordinary apple cakes and blitz tortes.’
- ‘Back at the table, our desserts arrived. We had ordered blackberry consommé with a pear sorbet and warm dark chocolate torte with fresh mint ice cream.’
- ‘And then you all wait - and watch the clock - and watch the 4-top as they ever so slowly pick at the chocolate torte and sip coffee.’
- ‘Roasted red leg partridge with a game torte, parsnip galette and truffle Madeira jus.’
- ‘We surveyed fancy chocolate cakes glazed and sculpted with dark bittersweet shards of chocolate, and seasonal tortes which featured crisp disks of almond meringue with plump, perfect raspberries.’
- ‘Some Linzer tortes had also appeared courtesy of our Tennessee contingent.’
- ‘Favorite desserts include tortes (frosted, multilayered cakes) and kolác (rolls with nut or poppy seed filling).’
- ‘I've made a pie, a cake, a torte, and even a casserole, but it has to be said I've never made a flan.’
- ‘Even from there, the odor was pervasive, competing quite successfully against the warm aroma of cinnamon from the plum torte in the oven.’
- ‘When ready to bake, heat the oven to 180C, Gas 4 and bake the torte for about 25 minutes until risen and golden brown.’
- ‘Desserts offered were a chocolate torte, fresh fruit salad (great, not too many apple slices) and a hot concoction of a light sponge topped with apple and blackberries that had a crunchy crumble thin layer on top.’
- ‘Guess what classic, towering German torten I brought for dessert, attempting to navigate through the crowded buses and hectic sidewalks of Paris?’
- ‘Mouton calypso is a spicy torte of curried lamb that is very nicely complemented by a sweet pool of coconut crème fraîche.’
From German Torte, via Italian from late Latin torta ‘round loaf, cake’. Compare with tortilla.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.