Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sweet cake or tart.
- ‘Desserts offered were a chocolate torte, fresh fruit salad (great, not too many apple slices) and a hot concoction of a light sponge topped with apple and blackberries that had a crunchy crumble thin layer on top.’
- ‘Back at the table, our desserts arrived. We had ordered blackberry consommé with a pear sorbet and warm dark chocolate torte with fresh mint ice cream.’
- ‘While I can refuse the warm dark chocolate torte with white chocolate sorbet and the pink grapefruit, orange and mango terrine I am powerless to resist the home-made cookies and ice-cream.’
- ‘Favorite desserts include tortes (frosted, multilayered cakes) and kolác (rolls with nut or poppy seed filling).’
- ‘Roasted red leg partridge with a game torte, parsnip galette and truffle Madeira jus.’
- ‘Even from there, the odor was pervasive, competing quite successfully against the warm aroma of cinnamon from the plum torte in the oven.’
- ‘And then you all wait - and watch the clock - and watch the 4-top as they ever so slowly pick at the chocolate torte and sip coffee.’
- ‘All over Germany there are Konditorei famous for their torte and kuchen, fruit tarts and pastries.’
- ‘Guess what classic, towering German torten I brought for dessert, attempting to navigate through the crowded buses and hectic sidewalks of Paris?’
- ‘Coffee houses - with the most glorious cream cakes and chocolate tortes in their windows - are everywhere.’
- ‘For dessert we shared the warm chocolate and hazelnut torte with Marsala sabayon and coffee caramel.’
- ‘Another neighbor at the potluck had bagged it while the rest of us were finishing a chocolate hazelnut torte.’
- ‘When ready to bake, heat the oven to 180C, Gas 4 and bake the torte for about 25 minutes until risen and golden brown.’
- ‘Some Linzer tortes had also appeared courtesy of our Tennessee contingent.’
- ‘I've made a pie, a cake, a torte, and even a casserole, but it has to be said I've never made a flan.’
- ‘We decided on afternoon coffee and chanced upon L' Oeuferie which not only had stunning bottomless coffee, but a cake display of particular note - extraordinary apple cakes and blitz tortes.’
- ‘For dessert there is a wide selection of cakes and tarts such as white and dark chocolate tortes, berry tarts and pecan pie.’
- ‘For those averse to fruitcakes and all that goes into them, there are traditional feather-light sponge cakes in exotic flavours such as the strawberry torte and the egg-less lychee gateaux.’
- ‘We surveyed fancy chocolate cakes glazed and sculpted with dark bittersweet shards of chocolate, and seasonal tortes which featured crisp disks of almond meringue with plump, perfect raspberries.’
- ‘Mouton calypso is a spicy torte of curried lamb that is very nicely complemented by a sweet pool of coconut crème fraîche.’
From German Torte, via Italian from late Latin torta round loaf, cake Compare with tortilla.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.