Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A unit of pressure used in measuring partial vacuums, equal to 133.32 pascals.
- ‘Hyperventilation may actually increase ischemia in at risk brain tissue if PCO 2 < 25 torr by causing excessive vasoconstriction and is falling out of favor.’
- ‘Condensate samples were stored at - 80°C; 5-10 ml samples were lyophilized to dryness at - 100°C and less than 1 - torr pressure.’
- ‘However, the competing protein ligand results in a much lower affinity, on the order of magnitude of 1 torr.’
- ‘For example the triple point of water is at a pressure of 4.58 torr and a temperature of 32.0176°F.’
- ‘The QTC provides repeatable and stable leak-rate measurements from 5 × 10-11 up to 0.2 std-cc/s and a maximum test pressure of 15 torr.’
- ‘A number of custom probes have been developed for a wide range of temperatures from - 100 to 330°C and vacuum applications to 10-10 torr.’
- ‘The VFT, which is tested and certified to 10-9 torr, is ideal for applications involving environmental testing, pharmaceutical processing, and optical coatings production.’
- ‘The microscope was maintained at 15 kV, and approx.5 torr at ambient room temperature.’
- ‘After stabilizing pressure and temperature, they deposited a GaAs barrier and quantum wells at 540°C and 200 torr.’
- ‘The ALS is one of only two places in the world where photoelectron spectroscopy can be performed on surfaces at pressures above 1 torr (a unit of pressure equivalent to 1 millimeter of mercury in a barometer).’
- ‘Once fabricated, the waveguides were placed in a vacuum system and filled with 9 torr of Ne gas.’
- ‘For example, air pressure is usually given in terms of atmospheres, torr, bars, or millimeters of mercury.’
- ‘The dynamic investigations were carried out under continuous conditions, which were 6 torr with a relative humidity of 80%.’
- ‘On arrival at the intensive care unit her pa0 2 was 25 torr and her pH 7.40.’
- ‘It is, however, essential that the patient is able to maintain a PaO2 of at least 55 torr with 50% FiO2.’
- ‘In the first set of experiments, the target blood pO 2 levels 40, 80, 160, and 400 torr were reached by tonometry.’
- ‘The four-grating pulse compressor resided in a chamber at 10-4 torr, and achieved a diffraction efficiency of better than 92%.’
- ‘Currently, the system is able to measure gasses emerging in pressures ranging from one atmosphere to.0001 torr.’
- ‘The O2 pressures in the microcirculation and some venous circulations are found to be ~ 20 torr or less.’
- ‘Early ETS tests indicate that the partial pressure of gases with atomic masses greater than 44 is below 10-11 torr in the vacuum environment.’
1940s: named after E. Torr(see Torricelli, Evangelista).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.