One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a bait) floating on or near the top of the water.
- ‘‘Airy’ wooden models are the worst, but none can rival the ‘castability’ of lures such as lipless swimming plugs and conventional topwater plugs.’
- ‘Any angler who thrills to ‘ripping’ a big topwater plug into vicious strikes must rate it at the top.’
- ‘We drifted, blind-casting for 30 or 40 minutes, and I caught a 25 incher on a Spit'n Image topwater plug.’
- ‘As Stovall and I began squabbling over topwater, spinnerbait, crankbait, swimming bait and worm options, the ensuing confusion resembled a floating pickup sticks game.’
- ‘Switching to magnum topwater plugs sometimes improves the quality of trout caught, but don't be surprised if a 10-inch speck latches its eager jaws onto a plug half its length.’
- ‘But when the current rolls and the fish are hungry, they'll slam jigs and sometimes detonate on topwater plugs.’
- ‘And, increasingly, topwater plugs should draw fire.’
- ‘Small plugs are effective, and topwater models can draw aggressive blasts.’
- ‘Either way, the one-handed rod was the common denominator for chunking topwater plugs, spinnerbaits and subsurface lures amid the sloughs and backwaters.’
- ‘The coastal wader chunking a topwater lure on 12-to 14-pound line for trophy speckled trout on an open flat should maintain a loose drag.’
- ‘The first morning of our trip, Sellers and Ellenson jumped at least 30 tarpon on topwater plugs - a world-class session.’
- ‘Bragging rights start around 15 pounds, and the goal for every plugger venturing into the Rio Negro drainages is to catch a 20 pounder on a topwater plug.’
- ‘The overwhelming majority of major-league fish are taken on big topwater plugs because the casting tackle reaches out with rapid fire to cover the shoreline tangles.’
- ‘The rocky shorelines assure an abundance of clear water, and topwater lures are an excellent choice early and late over grass and off points.’
- ‘Second, the aggressive strike occurred at approximately 5 p.m - about two hours earlier than conventional wisdom suggests chunking a topwater lure for hot-weather bass.’
- ‘There's a brief topwater bite around POC now, he said, but it turns ‘nonexistent’ once the sun clears the horizon.’
- ‘For real thrills, keep one rod rigged with a large topwater plug.’
- ‘The usual assortment of spinnerbaits, swimming plugs, topwater lures and soft plastics is sufficient to test the potential of most small and relatively shallow ponds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.